Sunday, December 22, 2013

Holidays in Vietnam

Merry Christmas!!  Hope you're all enjoying a wonderful holiday season with loved ones and that Santa is VERY good to you and your family!  Happy Ho-Ho-Ho to you!

Missing family, particularly these two, VERY much this holiday season.
Love you Mom and Belle!  Merry MERRY Christmas!

When I was a little girl, my Grandpa and Aunt Zoe played this song (and entire album) on repeat throughout the holiday season ... my gift to you this Christmas ... the BEST version of Rudolph in existence:

http://youtu.be/oLzH6_wB2xY

This used to scare the bejeezus out of me but as I got a little bit older it became hilarious and earned it's rightful place in Zarnowski family lore.  Christmas isn't Christmas until I've heard Rudolph a la Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians.

Oh - this version of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas is pretty spectacular too and is also a family tradition:

http://youtu.be/GGv0pohoJOU

You're welcome!

As you might guess, holidays in Vietnam are a little different than in the States.  For starters, Thanksgiving is strictly a U.S. holiday ... (oops - forgot I learned the fun fact this year [thanks Dames!] that the Canadians celebrate too, but not on the same day) ... so it was up to me and my American friends to "school" our non-American friends about the magic of Thanksgiving ... turkey, amazing side dishes, going around and saying what you're thankful for, and, of course, alcohol.  Would've thrown football in on that list, but ... "football" in the U.S. also has a different connotation to "football" around the rest of the world, and in either case - there were no Lions or Packers (the REAL football) or Newcastle or Chelsea ("football" as defined by the rest of the free world) games to enjoy.

Nat, LaMont and Monae were gracious enough to host 10(12?) friends for Thanksgiving dinner - and it was wonderful!  The turkey we ordered from a local fancy schmancy restaurant here in Hanoi, but the sides were all us ... yams, roast beef, corn casserole, mac 'n' cheese, green bean casserole, broccoli/corn casserole, mashed potatoes, stuffing ... all topped off with mulled wine and a homemade apple pie.  It was fantastic!!

Apple pie ... before .......

... during ...

... after!  Success!

Thanksgiving spread!

Monae helping me cook!

Decorating the Christmas tree!

Days since Thanksgiving have been insane and filled with work ... but that's work and I won't bore you with those gory details.  Looking like I'll be back in the States end February or beginning March, but ... things kinda still up in the air.  Will keep you posted!

On the fun side ... got my Christmas tree up (fake, of course - hard to find a fresh/live Christmas tree in Vietnam - shocking, I know), have done oodles of Christmas shopping, and have been gearing up for the big day.  It won't be a "traditional" Christmas like in the U.S., but I'll be with my Vietnam family - it'll be wonderful!

The run-up to Christmas!!:

My (big) Christmas Tree!
My (little) Christmas Tree!
(gift from the Zarnowski's - thanks guys!)

Shopping with Nathalie and Daraca

Amazing Christmas tree in the fancy schmancy mall downtown

Vietnamese Santa Claus!

Nat enjoying Movember @ the last Fusion Oi of the season

Last Fusion Oi with Damien and LaMont!

Making Christmas cookies with Nat and Monae!

Monae liked the sprinkles best of all :)

Ready for Christmas!

Nat and Monae came over on Saturday night, and Monae treated us to some awesome dancing:




... channeling Michael Jackson toward the end ;)


How stinkin' cute is that??  So fun to have a little kid around for the holidays!

The day after Christmas, I'm using my (laughable) RTI annual bonus for a vacation to Phu Quoc Island off the coast of Vietnam ...


(per Lonely Planet)

Fringed with white-sand beaches and with large tracts still covered in dense, tropical jungle, Phu Quoc has been quickly morphing from a sleepy backwater to a favoured beach escape of Western expats and sun-seeking tourists.  Beyond the chain of resorts lining Long Beach, it's still largely undeveloped - and unlike Phuket, to which it aspires, you won't find a lot to do here after dark.  Opt instead for daytime adventures by diving the reefs, kayaking in the bays or exploring the backroads on a motorbike - or live the life of a lotus eater by lounging on the beach, indulging in a massage and dining on fresh seafood.




... spending 3 relaxing nights and 4 amazing days here:

http://www.edenresort.com.vn/pages/gallery.html

Cause that's how I roll ... I'm ridiculously jazzed.

Merriest of Merry Christmases everyone!  

2 comments:

  1. Savannah and I enjoyed reading this as I'm enjoying learning about your Christmas traditions first hand. She told me when each of those songs came on that they were favorites of yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to comment on some other things..but now i'll just say..you got a christmas bonus? Wtf.
    ;-)
    Merry Christmas Becca! Looks like a lot of holiday fun - hugs and kissies.
    Lenna

    ReplyDelete