Sunday, January 27, 2013

Month 1 in Review

Hard to believe it's already been a month ... sometimes it feels like I've been here much longer, other times that I've only just arrived.  In the past month, I've been sick and struggled with jetlag, moved into an apartment, figured out more about Hanoi, and traveled to Bangkok for four days ... among other things.  

Things I've learned thus far (in no particular order):

1. I may as well be speaking Martian.  While English is compulsory in Vietnamese schools, the practice of it outside of the classroom is not.  Trying to direct a cab driver to my house and saying "go straight ... now, left - no no no - LEFT!"is a daily reminder of just how different English is from Vietnamese.  Folks in our office speak fabulous English - no problem speaking with them.  It's the day to day stuff - like ... communicating with the cleaning lady who brings you a bill for 473,000 dong (about $20 USD, and yes, the Vietnamese currency is called dong) and you have no idea why ... or ... trying to ask the salesman if the clock you bought needs batteries or if they're included in the total ... or ... trying to order your hamburger "well done."  You know - the normal "living" type of stuff.  So - I'm signing up to learn Vietnamese.  I figured it'd be a good thing to do - you know, become one with the culture and what not - but now I'm realizing it's a necessity - even if only to be able to direct a cab to my house which, turns out, isn't that easy to find.

2. Vietnamese food is delicious - or grotesque.  And you really don't know until you take that first bite.  You find your standard, go-to foods (i.e. Pho or Bun Cha) but there are absolutely situations where you're not quite sure what you're eating, and you have to go with it for fear of offending the company you're with.  

3. I must learn how to ride a motorbike.  I realize this isn't the first time this subject has graced my blog, but - it's official - I must learn how to ride a motorbike.  The freedom it will allow outweighs any fear I have of crashing and getting run over by the 400,000 OTHER motorbikes coming right behind me.  Oh, and the fact that Western helmets don't exist over here, so you're basically wearing a hard top beanie.  Nevertheless, learning how to ride a motorbike is my #1 priority in the month of February.

4. Chili sauce is a gift from God.  That is all.  

5. Hanoi weather is miserable.  It's technically "winter" here, so temps hover around 50-65 degrees - meaning all the locals are bundled into their parkas and hunkering down around open flames on the side of the street (not kidding).  The temperature isn't the unmanageable part - it's the gray.  In the 30 days that I have been here, I haven't seen blue sky once save for the 4 days I was in Bangkok.  It's always this foggy/gray/hazy/smoggy? thickness - and when it starts to mist - fugghedaboutit.  For example, it's "sunny" right now meaning, I can see a bright orb in the sky and I have a shadow - but ... I can't actually see any sky through the cloud cover.  Starting to think I should ask for those lamps that provide the fake sunlight for people with that sunshine disorder.  Worst part?  Summer is just around the corner.  Like sitting directly on the sun with 400% humidity, but still no blue skies.  Awesome.

6. I love my job.  It's true - I absolutely do love my job.  BUT - I am a bit worried about my own time management skills.  By the time I get home in the evening, the U.S. is just about coming online ... meaning I have about an hour and a half before I'm deluged by emails.  And to do list items.  And Skype chats.  And conference calls.  This is not unique to my situation, nor is it something that I didn't expect - just something I need to learn how to better manage. 

7. The metric system and Celsius can kiss my ass.  The standard measurement units in the US (inches, feet, pounds, miles, FAHRENHEIT) mean squat over here.  At the butcher shop today, I asked for a pound of ground beef - and she look at me, again, like I was speaking Martian.  Oh that's right - cause it's KILOGRAMS here.  Sh*t.  This is going to be tough.  

8. I know a little bit about a lot of things.  Great for trivia, but - who wants to talk to someone that isn't passionate and/or at least knowledgable about something beyond just surface information (or Gone With the Wind)?  I'm excited to learn a LOT about a few things while I'm here.  Namely, Vietnam - probably a good idea to know a little bit more about the people I'm living amongst, right??

9. Homesickness is an issue.  Not a pervading issue - not an all day thing - not unmanageable ... but it's there.  I miss my family.  I miss my friends.  I miss my dog.  Turns out I haven't met the love of my life or my new Vietnam bestie in the 4 weeks that I've arrived ... YET (and I stress yet) ... so it can get a bit lonely.  BUT - it's only been 4 weeks - and I've got 48 more to change that.  And yes, I'm checking into social clubs and options every single day - suggestions, while they're always welcome, probably WON'T yield options I haven't already thought of and/or explored.  It takes time, and I'm learning to give myself a break.

10.  Turns out I am self-reliant.  I mean, I lived alone at home and all that, but - this is a whole 'nother ball of wax.  And I'm doing just fine ... sure, moments of homesickness and some doubt, but ... all in all, I'd say things are going pretty swimmingly 1 month in.

And the best part?  I can't wait to see what happens next.

Some pics!

Panoramic view of my neighborhood, standing on my balcony.
Oh right - and this is a "sunny" day.

Huh.

Advertisement for a barber shop.
Because Cary Grant is the epitome of cool hairstyles in the 2000's.

Desperately needed rum and diet coke on a Friday night.
(BTW, that bottle of Captain cost 50 cents)

Took the Director of Global Health (VIP boss) sightseeing on Saturday -
pic from the Temple of Literature

Reminded me of the flat iron building (or whatever it's called) in NYC.
How do you decorate THAT space?  I love the WD-40 sign in front :)




1 comment:

  1. Sending you some love from back home. Miss you Becca and so happy for your adventure in Vietnam!

    - Gary

    ReplyDelete